Homemade traditional pumpkin pie, that EVERYONE will like ( even the pumpkin pie haters)!
Every time I mention that I’m going to make a pumpkin pie I usually get a ” Oh hells nahhhhh” from my family members & friends. They are not trying to hear it. They make it clear that they want a sweet potato pie…. and that’s it! They complain, and some are even ready to throw down! No, seriously! LOL. I can’t blame them, because once upon a time, I too was a pumpkin pie hater. I didn’t like pumpkin pie. As a matter of fact I hated it! I remember one Thanksgiving my mom bought a pumpkin pie for desserts, and tried to pass it off as a sweet potato pie. We took a bite, and then we cried. We were so dang mad! I tasted like pure clove & nutmeg. It just was not our thang. After that, I was good on pumpkin pies…Until I came up with my very own recipes for pumpkin pie!
I actually have several pumpkin pie recipes, but my favorite one tastes just like a sweet potato pie!! I kid you not! This pumpkin pie tastes so much like a sweet potato pie, that I was able to fool, a few of my family and friends , into believing that it was a sweet potato pie!
What’s the trick? I don’t use pumpkin spice! Some people happen to love pumpkin spice, I actually dislike it. Why? Because it has too much freaking clove & nutmeg. I prefer more cinnamon & less nutmeg, ginger, clove, and a dash of allspice. I also use a full TABLESPOON ( not a teaspoon) of pure vanilla extract, and a 2 teaspoons of lemon juice. The outcome? Freaking AH-MAZ-ING!
Seriously, this pie is better than a traditional pumpkin pie, but we’ll just call it traditional for the heck of it…..
Check out my video tutorial
- 2¾ cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- ¼ tsp ground clove
- 1 tbsp of pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 12 oz evaporated milk
- 1 9 inch store bought pie shell or pie crust ( If you want to use homemade I have a recipe for it !)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Add the pumpkin puree into a large mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle in the ground cinnamon, ground clove, ground nutmeg, ground allspice, granulated sugar, and brown sugar.
- Add in the vanilla extract, and lemon juice, then mix everything until well combined.
- Next start adding in the eggs, but only one at a time, and mix.
- Pour in the evaporated milk, and mix.
- Grab the pie shell, and fill it with the pie filling.
- Bake the pie on 350 F, for 50 minutes.
- Remove the pie from the oven, and let cool completely!
- Serve & enjoy with whipped cream!
Want more pie recipes? Check these out!