Delicious spicy southern fried catfish! Coated with flour & cornmeal, then deep fried to golden perfection… It’s love at first bite!
Every time that I fry up some southern soul food style catfish filets or nuggets, I always think of Louisiana. I know, I know… I always talk about my Baton Rouge family reunions ( when I was a child), but that is truly the time that I feel in love southern food. Sure, my mom cooked soul food all the time. However, it wasn’t until we visited our family down south when I was around 8 or so, that I feel in love with catfish.
I don’t know what it is about catfish, but I can never have enough of it. ESPECIALLY if it’s spicy deep fried catfish. I love it! My spicy catfish recipe is really easy. I drench the fish in a egg & hot sauce mixture, then I coat it with self rising flour and yellow cornmeal. The outcome is always amazing.
If you’re not a fan of spicy food you can replace the hot sauce with water. It will get the job done,you just won’t have the spicy flavor.
Watch how I made my spicy fried catfish
- 2 lbs Catfish Nuggets
- 1 cup self rising flour
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- ½ cup hot sauce
- 2 medium sized eggs
- 2 tsp your favorite cajun seasoning
- 2- 2½ cup oil to fry with
- Make sure that the fish is nice and clean before anything else, then set to the side.
- In a large bowl add the self rising flour, cornmeal, and cajun seasoning. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl beat the two eggs, then add in the hot sauce, and mix.
- Next add the fish into the bowl with the hot sauce & egg mixture.
- Make sure that the fish is nicely coated with the wet mixture, then coat with the flour mixture.
- Once all of the fish is coated, let it set for about 5 minutes so that the cornmeal & flour mixture can stick well.
- Heat the oil between 350 - 375 F.
- Once the oil is nice and hot, carefully add the fish into the skillet or deep fryer, but do not overcrowd.
- Fry the fish until golden brown, then remove from the oil, and set on a paper towel lined plate or cookie sheet.
- Let sit until it's cool enough to eat.
- Serve & Enjoy.