Kale, collard, and mustard greens cooked southern style with bacon. Simmered in chicken broth, with onions, garlic, and peppers!
A few years ago I uploaded my recipe for Southern Collard Greens. Since then the recipe has been tried, and loved by so many of my viewers. Since you all loved the recipe so much I decided to come back with another southern greens recipe, but this time the greens are mixed.
I honestly love all greens, but the greens used for this recipe was kale, collards, and mustard greens. I seasoned the greens with European Style Bacon, and I must say that I absolutely loved it. I usually use bacon ends, ham hocks, or smoked pork neck bones. However, my local butcher talked me into trying the European style bacon, and I’m glad that he did. The bacon is a lot smokier than regular bacon, and it had a lot less fat. The outcome was amazing…. I think I am now in love with European style bacon y’all!
Other than using bacon to flavor my southern mixed greens I also use my usual ingredients such as chicken broth, garlic, onions, bell peppers, and red pepper flakes.
So we talked about the greens, the bacon, and even what I use to season the greens. Now let’s talk about the turnips. I used about 3-4 turnips for this huge pot of greens. Before throwing them into the pot I made sure to wash them thoroughly. After washing the turnips, I peeled them, then I cut them into small squares.
Ready to make the best mixed southern greens? Check out these easy steps..
Wash the greens well before anything else. Then dice up the bell pepper, onion, and mince the garlic
Cook the bacon over medium heat, then toss in the diced bell pepper, onions, and minced garlic..
Add in the greens, and stir the ingredients..
Pour in the chicken broth..
Add in the apple cider vinegar, then stir, and let simmer..
Peel & dice the turnips..
Toss the turnips into the pot ..
Let the greens & turnips cook some more…. then serve!
Here’s the complete recipe!
- 1 lb European style or regular bacon, cut in small pieces
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 large bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves of fresh garlic, minced
- 2 tsp seasoning salt
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 lb collard greens, washed & cut
- 1 lb mustard greens, washed & cut
- 1 lb kale, washed & cut
- 32 ounces chicken broth ( I used low sodium)
- 3 - 4 medium sized turnips, peeled & chopped into ½ squares
- Make sure that the greens are nice and clean prior to anything else, then cut or tear the greens in small pieces.
- Toss the bacon into a large pot, and cook it over medium heat.
- Once the bacon starts to brown, add in the onions, bell peppers, and minced garlic.
- Stir the ingredients, then toss the greens.
- Keep in mind that all the greens may not fit into the pot at first. Once they cook down, you can add more to the pot.
- Once all the greens are in the pot, pour in the chicken broth.
- Next sprinkle in the red pepper flakes, seasoning salt, and black pepper.
- Add in the apple cider vinegar at this time, then give everything a stir.
- Reduce the heat from medium to low-medium, place a lid on the pot, and let the greens simmer for 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Remove the lid from the pot, and carefully add in the turnips.
- Stir the ingredients, cover the pot with the lid, and let cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Serve & enjoy!