How to make amazing southern green beans with smoked turkey.
Often when we think of soulful vegetables we usually think of collard greens and cabbage. Although I love both, I have another option for you- Southern style green beans! These green beans aren’t your average “boiled with a tad a butter” green beans. These are southern green beans with smoked turkey! These soul food style green beans make a perfect side dish during the holidays & for Sunday dinner, and they are quite easy to make. Let me show and tell you how I make my southern style green beans!
First things first, lets talk about the main ingredient- the GREEN BEANS. For this tutorial ( and usually any other time that I make this) I used frozen green beans. I used frozen green beans, because I had them in my deep freezer. Also, they are already cleaned, cut , and good to go, which makes it a plus for me. If you prefer to use fresh green beans, please do so. Just make sure that you wash them thoroughly, and cut off the ends.
Now let’s talk about the smoked turkey that I used for these southern green beans. I used a smoked turkey leg. I actually slow cooked it in my CrockPot for several hours. If you don’t have a slow cooker, you can cook the smoked turkey on your stovetop. Just make sure that the turkey leg is thawed, then place it into a large pot, and pour enough water into the pot to cover the turkey leg. Cover the pot, and turn the heat on medium high, and cook until the smoked turkey is “falling off the bone” tender! Also remember to save the liquid from the pot! You will need it later on!
The reason I use my slow cooker for this recipe is because it’s foolproof. I don’t have to watch the smoked turkey cook. I just turn on my CrockPot, and go on about my business. To be honest, when the smoked turkey is in the Crock Pot, I usually tend to my other Thanksgiving recipes. Sometimes I even let the smoked turkey cook overnight, and make the rest of the dish the following day.
Other than the smoked turkey ( and broth from the pot that we boiled the turkey in) I use a few other ingredients to season the green beans such as : minced garlic, diced tomatoes, and black pepper. I actually don’t add salt, because the smoked turkey has plenty of salt in it. If you feel that you need to as salt you may add it.
Watch how I make my Southern Green Beans with Smoked Turkey
- 1 lb frozen green beans
- 1 lb smoked turkey leg or wing
- 6-8 cups of water
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 14 oz can of stewed tomatoes
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Place the smoked turkey into a Slow Cooker, and pour in enough water to cover the turkey ( about 6-8 cups).
- Cover the slow cooker, and cook the turkey on high for 4 hours.
- Once the turkey is done, remove it from the slow cooker and reserve 4 cups of broth from the slow cooker.
- Next,remove the turkey meat from the bones, and shred it. Also get rid of all the skinny bones that may be buried in the meat.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- In a 9x9 bake dish, toss in the green beans, chopped onions, garlic, stewed tomatoes, and smoked turkey.
- Sprinkle in the black pepper, and pour in the broth.
- Give everything a nice stir, then place the green beans into the oven uncovered, and let bake for 40 minutes.
- Once done, let the green beans cool until they are safe to eat.
- Serve and enjoy!