How to make southern soul food style green beans, bacon, and potatoes in the slow cooker!
A few years ago I uploaded a recipe for southern green beens and potatoes. I believe that in that recipe I used ham to flavor up everything. So many of you loved the recipe that I decided to share my southern green beans, bacon, and potatoes recipe. The two recipes are really similar. However this time we’re going to add some smokey bacon ends to flavor up this southern style dish.
Unlike the previous recipe, we’re going to cook these southern green beans in the slow cooker. This will make everything super easy! I cook the green beans, bacon, and potatoes on high ( in the slow cooker) for 4 hours. Once done, the green beans are super tender & flavorful. This southern dish is a meal on it’s own, but if you’d like to add something on the side, I suggest cornbread.
FYI, If don’t eat pork you can replace the bacon ends with a smoked turkey wing. It would still be delicious. Also, You can use golden potatoes instead of baby reds, but I wouldn’t use russet potatoes because they become to mushy in my opinion!
Watch how I made this delicious southern dish!
- 16 oz bag of frozen green beans
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, chopped ( optional)
- 1 lb bacon ends, chopped
- 1½ tbsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 lb baby red potatoes, cut in halves or quarters
- 3 cups chicken broth.
- Add all of the ingredients into the slow cooker.
- Turn the slow cooker on high.
- Place the lid on top, and let cook for 4 hours.
- Serve and enjoy!