Shrimp & Andouille Sausage in a sweet and spicy tomato sauce filled with onions, celery, spices, and more!
It’s been a while since I’ve had homemade cajun style shrimp creole. I absolutely love the stuff. I swear It’s amazing, especially when it’s served with hot steamed rice and cornbread…. LAWD HAVE MERCY!! It’s almost like a shrimp gumbo, but without the roux. It is truly one of my favorite southern dishes. It must be some of your favorite dishes as well, because I’ve been getting a TON of request for it. So in this post, I’m going to show & tell you how I make my homemade Shrimp & Sausage Creole.
My version of shrimp & sausage creole is simple. I don’t use any fancy ingredients. I just use the basic stuff. The only ” fancy” thing about this recipe are the tomatoes that I use. I like to use Heavenly Villagio Marzano Tomatoes, as well as Zima tomatoes. Why? because I LOVE the sweetness of the tomatoes… If you have a different tomato that you’d like to use feel free to use it.
I don’t like my shrimp & sausage creole too spicy. Therefore I use very little red pepper flakes & andouille sausage. However, if you want more heat you can certainly add more!
You’ll find that I don’t use a ton of seasonings in the classic southern dish. The tomatoes that I use add alot of flavor in my opinion. However, this is my preference. Be sure to taste the sauce before adding the sausage & shrimp. If you feel that you need to add more seasonings, feel free to do so!
Watch me make my homemade Shrimp & Sausage Creole
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 lb jumbo shrimp
- 2 large andouille sausage links, chopped
- 1 cup Heavenly Villagio Marzano Tomatoes(or your favorite), sliced
- 1 cup Zima Tomatoes(or your favorite), sliced
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 1 large white onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup tomato sauce
- 1½ cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 dashes of hot sauce
- 3-4 dashes of worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- Add the vegetable oil into a large saucepan, then turn the heat to medium.
- Once the oil is nice & hot add in the onions, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Next, toss in the celery, and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Now add in the sliced tomatoes, and stir.
- Let cook until the tomatoes start to cook down, then add in the minced garlic.
- Pour in the tomato sauce, and the chicken broth. Stir.
- Sprinkle in the salt, pepper, thyme, and red pepper flakes.
- Next add in the dashes of hot sauce, and worcestershire sauce.
- Stir until everything is combined, then add in the bay leaves.
- Turn the heat down to low medium, and let the sauce simmer for about 20-25 minutes.
- Add in the andouille sausage, and stir. Let cook for about 10 minutes.
- Last but not least toss in the shrimp, stir, and turn the heat off completely.
- Let stand for about 10 minutes.
- Serve with hot steamed rice, and enjoy!