It all started years ago when I lived in an apartment, and had no room to grill. Not that, that mattered because I had zero knowledge to grilling anyhow! I refused to let anyone know that I couldn’t grill. I simply faked it by using my slow cooker and a few ingredients that give a misleading grilled taste.
One of the ingredients I use for my Crock-Pot barbecue ribs, is root beer. I know it sounds funny, but just trust me on this! The root beer is not going to make the ribs taste like ” soda”, it’s going to add that nice sweet brown sugar taste, and it also adds a little color to the ribs. My second secret ingredient is liquid smoke. It’s a must!! This ingredient is going to give the ribs the smoked flavor that the grill would have. I personally love hickory liquid smoke, but you can use a different flavor if you choose.
Here are a few tips
- If you need to buy liquid smoke, it can be found in the seasoning isle at any big chain store ( Walmart, Target, Safeway, etc).
- If you’re not a fan of root beer, you can substitute it with Dr. Pepper.
- You can jazz this recipe up buy adding onion, garlic, and etc if you choose.
- Use a smokey flavored barbecue sauce.
- You can use any slow cooker, such as a Hamilton Beach or etc.
- You can use beef or pork ribs
Watch my video for visual instructions! Let’s get to cooking!