Homemade southern style smothered potatoes, with onions!
Imagine thin sliced baby red potatoes lightly fried with onions, then seasoned & smothered in a homemade milk gravy. Sounds pretty damn good right? Well that’s what I will be making in this post. Homemade country style smothered potatoes! This delicious side dish goes with just about anything- Meatloaf, fried chicken, roast chicken…. You name it!
This recipe is super simple. No fancy stuff needed, you probably already have the ingredients on hand.
I use baby red potatoes, however russet potatoes, and golden potatoes work as well!
Watch how I make my smothered potatoes!
- 8 baby red potatoes, washed well
- 1 large white or yellow onion
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground or cracked black pepper
- 3 tbsp butter, salted
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1¼ cup milk
- Slice the potatoes & onions.
- Pour the oil in the pan, and place the pan over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add in the potatoes, and fry the for about 5-7 minutes.
- Next toss in the onions, and fry for about 3 minutes.
- Season with the salt, pepper, and garlic powder, then stir.
- Add in the butter, then stir the ingredients.
- Sprinkle in the flour, and stir.
- Pour in the milk, and reduce the heat from medium to low.
- Stir, and let cook until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Serve & enjoy!