Creamy authentic Southern Sweet Potato Pie
The holidays are quickly approaching, and if you know me well- you know that I NEVER have a holiday party without serving my Homemade Sweet Potato Pie. I always make at least two for every party because the pie goes FAST! Last year I peeped several people at one of my parties. I noticed that some people actually took 2-3 slices. They’d eat one slice, and have the nerve to place the other slice(s) away for later! I guess this year I’ll have to make additional pies …
For my Southern Sweet Potato Pie, I start of with a delicious crust. This crust is freaking amazing! It’s definitely not one of those plan ” water , butter, and flour” crust that most people use. This crust isn’t JUST crust, it’s part of the pie! It’s outrageously flaky, and nice and buttery. Honestly, the store brand crust has NOTHING on this crust— BUT if you want to use it, go ahead… It will still be a great pie, but it won’t be “KNOCK YO’ SOCKS OFF AMAZING” like it could be with the homemade crust.
You’re definitely going to want to add this pie to your holiday menu, so perfect the recipe now…..
- 1 Large sweet potato, or 3 small ones ( small ones are easier to cut)
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 stick of salted butter OR margarine, softened
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup butter flavored baking stick, or butter flavored shortening
- 1 large egg
- 6 tbsp COLD heavy cream
- In a bowl combine 2 cups flour, 1 tsp salt, and 4 tbsp granulated sugar. Sift or stir together. Now add in the butter flavored baking stick or shortening, and cut it in until the mixture resembles crumbs. Add in one egg, and 6 tbsp of heavy cream. Mix until everything is well combined and turns into dough. Ball up the dough, cover it, and place it in the refrigerator for 30-45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel and cut the sweet potatoes. Boil the potatoes, until they are nice and fork tender, then drain them and let them cool down completely.
- In a large bowl, mash the sweet potatoes. Add in one stick of butter, 3 eggs, 2/3 cup heavy cream, 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg, 1 tbsp ground cinnamon, 1 tbsp vanilla extract, and 1 1/2 cup sugar. Mix until everything is nice and creamy.
- Flatten out the crust on a lightly floured surface.
- Spray a 9 inch pie pan with baking spray, then place the crust into the pan. Use your hands to form the crust onto the pie pan, and tidy up the edges ( watch the video above).
- Pour in the pie filling, and smooth it out.
- Bake the pie on 350 F for 40-45 minutes.
- Let the pie cool completely before serving….. ENJOY!!!