Here is a recipe that remind me of my childhood. My mom used to make these all the time, However she used green bell peppers. I actually didn’t care much for stuffed bell peppers until I got older, and now I can’t get enough of them.
I personally like green bell peppers, but I’m not a fan of using them for my stuffed peppers. Green peppers tend to be a the bitter side. I actually like using orange, yellow, and red peppers because the are more flavorful ( in my opinion), and they are sweet.
When I make these peppers, I serve it with a side salad, and I think that is plenty! Give this recipe a try and leave me a comment down below.
- 3 large Orange, Yellow, or Red bell peppers
- 1 small onion diced
- 1/2 pound ground beef, turkey, or chicken
- 1 cup cooked rice ( I like using leftover rice, because it holds up better than freshly made rice)
- 1/2 cup of your favorite salsa
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp of seasoning salt OR salt free seasoning
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Place the ground meat into a pan, and sprinkle in the seasonings. Brown the meat of medium heat, and add in the diced onions. Drain all the fat, if any, from the pan.
- Add the salsa and the rice along with the meat, and stir. Reduce the heat to medium heat, and let cook for 5 minutes.
- Wash the bell peppers with cool water, then cut length wise. Remove the membranes and the seeds.
- Place the peppers into a lightly oiled bake dish, then stuff the peppers with the meat and rice mixture.
- Leave the peppers uncovered then put the bake dish into the oven preheated at 375 f. Let bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the peppers from the oven, and sprinkle the parmesan and cheddar cheese on top. Add color by sprinkling parsley flakes and smoked paprika on top.
- Place bake in the oven for 5 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Let stand for 5 minutes, then serve!