A combination of rice, peppers, ground beef, andouille sausage, and more….
Dirty rice was one of those dishes that my mom made pretty regularly when I was growing up. I remember asking her ” Mom… why do they call dirty rice, dirty rice?..” And her response was ” because the rice is dirty” … I didn’t get her sense of humor then. As a matter of fact, her answer upset me. As a 7 year old child I wanted to know why the heck my mom would serve me rice that was dirty…. Had she not cared about my health?! I then realized that Dirty Rice was one of the dishes that I never really watched her make. The next time dirty rice was on our menu, I made sure to observe her while she made it and I’m glad that I did! I then learned that the rice wasn’y truly dirty ( boy…. was I naive).. I figured that it was called “dirty” because of all the different ingredients used.
For my dirty rice I use a combination of ground beef, chicken gizzards, and andouille sausage…. I personally like chicken gizzards ( especially fried with a lot of hot sauce…. whatchu know about that boo?) but if you are not a fan of the gizzards leave them out. Check out my recipe down below, and give it a try.
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 lb chicken gizzards
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2-3 andouille sausage link, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/4 cup diced sweet peppers
- salt & pepper to taste
- Rinse the rice, then place it in a rice cooker along with the beef stock. If you do not have a rice cooker, you will need to cook the rice on your stove top.
- Wash the chicken gizzards, then place them into a bake dish. Drizzle the olive oil over the gizzards, then season them with the onion powder, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper. Place the gizzard in the oven on 375 F, for 35-40 minutes. Once the gizzards are done, place them into a food processor, and mince them up OR use a knife to dice the gizzards.
- In a skillet, over medium heat, add in the ground beef. Cook the beef , and add in the diced onions and sweet peppers.
- Once the meat is browned, add in the diced andouille sausage, and then the minced gizzards. Cook for about 5 minutes, then add in the rice. Stir the ingredients, and make sure everything is well combined, and let it cook for an additional 5 minutes…